I LOVE Downy Unstoppables. They make our clothes smells AMAZING. There’s only three minor problems:
1. They are insanely expensive
2. The girls and I are pretty much allergic to any and all fragrances.
3. They are full of all sorts of junk.
Because of the whole allergic issue before I started making my own detergent I used a “free and clear” detergent. Which was rather boring and made my clothes smell like nothing. My homemade detergent doesn’t really have a scent either…enter this dandy little recipe I found on Pinterest. I’ve been making these for a couple of months now and I love them.
Homemade Scented Laundry Fabric Softener Crystals
Stuff you need:
– Epsom Salt (or Ice Cream Salt or Coarse Sea Salt)
– Your favorite essential oil (I’ve made batches of Lemongrass and Orange–they both came out amazing.)
– Something to stir or blend with (I just use a fork)
– An airtight container and scoop. (I use an old formula container and it’s scoop)
– A bowl for mixing. (I just use the container I’m storing it in)
Pour salt (as much as you want to make–I used about 2lbs. the last time). Drop in 20-30 drops of your favorite essential oil (more or less depending on your preference). Stir (or use a handheld blender a few pulses). Store in air tight container until use. I have an HE machine and I use two small scoops (about 2 tbs.) per load right into the drum of the washing machine. It’s not overpowering scent but it leaves a little refreshing scent.